- Collect water samples from private water supplies for laboratory analysis.
- Conduct mortgage surveys of properties served by private water wells and private sewage disposal systems for property transactions.
- Ensure that abandoned wells are properly sealed.
- Give assistance in disinfection of contaminated wells.
- Inspect new or repaired water well installations, closed loop well installations and private sewage disposal systems.
- Provide assistance in design and problem solving consultation.
- Provide presentations to schools and organizations on ground water protection.
- Receive complaints on any failing systems, or abandoned wells.
- Review plans and issue permits for private water wells, closed loop wells and sewage disposal systems.
- Sample and monitor non-community water supply systems.
- Sponsor annual forums for the purpose of exchanging ideas and networking with local septic contractors.
Instructions for Obtaining a Water Bottle or Effluent Bottle
- Water or effluent bottle must be obtained from the Tazewell County Health Department during working hours, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The cost for a water bottle for coliform sampling only is $25. Nitrates/nitrites are an additional charge. Please contact Tazewell County Health Department for cost.
- Effluent bottles are $35. All sampling bottles must be paid for at the time of purchase.
- Water bottles are accepted back at the Tazewell County Health Department Monday through Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., and the sample must be collected the same day of delivery.
- The water sample results are sent to the owner as soon as the results are received. Results take approximately one week to arrive.
- Effluent bottles are accepted back at the Tazewell County Health Department, Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and the sample must be collected the same day of delivery.
The Tazewell County Health Department is offering training to homeowners on septic system maintenance. The trainings will be held at the Tazewell County Health Department, 21306 IL Route 9, Tremont.
Please contact our department for registration at 309-929-0272 or 309-925-5511.
2020 Septic Maintenance training Dates
6:00 p.m. class
- January 14
- February 11
- March 11
- April 14
- May 12
- June 9
- July 14
- August 11
- September 15
- October 13
- November 10