Tazewell County Green Initiatives
The Green Iniatives Program is funded through Tazewell County landfill fees. This initiative is sponsored and supported by the Tazewell County Board and the Tazewell County Board of Health. Through the most recent Tazewell County Solid Waste Plan, five areas of focus have been implemented. The Tazewell County Green Initiatives Program may provide incentive dollars to jump start community organizations and businesses to begin or expand recycling and composting.
The five areas of focus are:
- Food Waste Diversion: coordinating the Good Food Recovery program to promote food recovery and food scrap diversion to compost.
- Special Events: providing recycling and composting opportunities during community festivals.
- Multi-Family Dwellings: increasing the ability of residents of apartment complexes to recycle.
- Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional: providing opportunities for large scale recycling.
- Education and Awareness: increase education and public information about the need to recycle and compost.
The 2018 Tazewell County Resource Recovery and Management Plan is listed here
More recycling opportunities are listed here.
Tazewell County Green Hero
In cooperation with the goals of Illinois state Physical Activity and Nutrition Initiatives, Ending Hunger Together Collaborative, Peoria County’ Resource Management plan and the TCHD Green Initiatives, the Tri County Green Hero Campaign is to feature those people, neighborhoods, businesses, schools, churches and organizations making a difference in Woodford, Tazewell and Peoria Counties in "Greening our Communities".
- To promote those entities making a difference in saving energy, improving the environment, providing healthy foods to people in need or diverting food waste for food recovery and composting.
- To encourage others to initiate green strategies for their places of work, churches, schools, neighborhoods and homes.
- To drive the community to healthyhoi.com in order to increase collaboration, education and awareness of issues impacting our health and communities.
How to improve sustainability
Increase recycling efforts
Compost Food Scraps and other materials
Conduct a Food Recovery Project by donating healthy foods to local food pantries or soup kitchens
Conduct litter pick up drives in your neighborhood, parks, river
Implement water and energy savings initiatives
Create a wellness policy for dedicated improvements to health for employees and community
Provide a tobacco free environment for customers and residents
Purchase locally grown and made products to increase spending power and reduce transportation emissions
Campaign Partners: WMBD, TCHD, WCHD, Peoria County Sustainability Department
October - Sous Chef
November - Pekin Insurance. Please check out this month’s winner.
December - Better Earth Logistics
January - Spring Lake School. Please check out this month’s winner.
Are you a green hero?
Tell us about your efforts and be recognized as a Tri County Green Hero or nominate someone else. Nominations are accepted by the 15th of each month. The nomination form is located here or you can contact Shanita Wallace at The Tazewell County Health Department for more information: email@example.com