Tazewell County Health Department works as part of a countywide team and has a plan to keep you and your family safe in an emergency. TCHD coordinates with healthcare providers, hospitals, and emergency service agencies to prepare for the unexpected.
Create an Emergency Plan
Plan what you will do in an emergency in advance. Be prepared to assess the situation. An emergency plan should include a communication plan, an evacuation plan and your emergency kit. Knowing what to do before an emergency is your best protection.
Your family’s emergency plan should include:
- Emergency telephone numbers (fire, police, ambulance, Poison Control Hotline, etc.) Save in mobile phones.
- Safe spots in your home/neighborhood for each type of disaster.
- The best escape routes from your home. Designate two ways out of each room.
Make an Emergency Preparedness Kit
Be prepared to improvise and use what you have on hand to make it on your own for at least three days (or two weeks). While there are many things that make you comfortable, think first about fresh water, food, and clean air. The list below is recommended in your preparedness kit:
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries
- First Aid kit
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Important family documents
- Manual can opener, if kit includes canned food
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Non-perishable food, at least a three-day supply
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Whistle to signal for help
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Water - one gallon per person per day, for drinking and sanitation
- Items for unique family needs, such as daily prescription medications, infant formula and diapers, or per supplies
Get Involved in Emergency Preparedness
After preparing yourself and your family for possible emergencies, take the next step and get involved in preparing your community. Learn more about Medical Reserve Corp, which actively involves citizens in making Tazewell County safer, stronger and better prepared.